Session on "Digitalisation as the key enabler" of energy transition
The conclusions of the parallel session “Digitalisation as the Key Enabler: Semantic Interoperability; Protocols; Data Gateways; IoT Integration” can be summarised as follows:
- Digitalisation projects are needed to close the gap between ideas and reality (implementation). Projects are the means to implement an idea with interested users.
- Cross–sector data exchange reference architecture (based on the BRIDGE Data Management WG graphics; SGAM-based): There is a challenge on the level of dimensionality. From ‘Business systems at the top’ down to ‘connectivity to devices at lowest level’. Issues are indicated on how many layers in–between shall be used.
- Data sharing today is challenging. Especially in the DSO world, standards seem to be missing.
- In order to enable people to use the developed solutions, two groups may be considered: small end–users and the DSO/TSO level. Data–based solutions may be useful beyond the energy sector.
- Not everything can be solved in one shot. Thus, Use Cases need to be selected to be implemented (solving sub-problems).
- There is a challenge in creating interoperability on top of existing solutions (Federated knowledge bases must be created).